One-in-Seven Fathers in the UK Are Primary Caregivers
Researchers at Aviva say that roughly 1.4 million men in the UK are now the primary caregivers in their households. That’s one-in-seven, or 14% if you fancy stats.
This number reflects a 10-fold increase from a decade ago, reports UK news site The Guardian.
The study also cites a quarter of families sharing caregiving equally, 26% of fathers giving up or reducing work hours after their children were born, and 44% of fathers watching the little boogers while their significant other is at work.
But this increase in caregiving by fathers hasn’t gone without some kicking and screaming – by the fathers! In the study, 17% of those fathers said that caregiving made them feel like less of a man, 13% said it was harder than traditional work, and 13% of the fathers said that they wished they earned more so that they could go back to work and get mom back in the home.
Way to go, gents! It’s like you want to put a bullet in the fatherhood movement AND the women’s movement all at once!
The Guardian also quotes Justine Roberts, co-founder of Mumsnet, who’s hell-bent on killing the buzz. “In our experience, women still pick up the bulk of the domestic duties in the house – even when both parents are working,” said Captain Buzzkill. “It is great that men are getting more involved with the kids, but there’s still a big divide on other activities with women doing more cooking, reading with kids, activity planning, and homework to name a few, which is why we see so many women still struggling to balance a successful career with family life.”
Big sigh, fellas. In order for fathers to stay home, mothers need to be at work, and in order for fathers to get the respect they deserve in the home, they’ve got to not go into surveys like this talking about how they’d love to be anywhere else but home. That 43% of whiners who feel like less of a man or wish they could go back to work – they’re ruining it for the other majority 57%, because clearly Aviva didn’t have any quotable stats on fathers that were happy to be home or gladly gave up larger salaries to take care of their kids. They’ve got to exist somewhere in that 57%. UK father-caregivers – where you at? Are you in that majority percent? Let us know!